June 20, 2014

Good Days

A friend and I had a wonderful picnic at Whiskey Creek yesterday. We got out early and were in the water by 10 a.m.

We sat our folding chairs in the lake, our quilt in the shade and pretty tablecloth and picnic basket on the closest table.

The water was perfect. A goose mistook one of my toes as part of the picnic and took a little nibble!
He quickly learned, if one is going to nibble this woman's toes, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries need to be part of the package.

My picnic partner, Kate, is a very magical woman. The conversation flowed easily from the numinous to the mundane and back to.  The weather was perfect. Kayaks would pass now and then and the conversation and laughing would reach us near the beach.

We shared cucumber sandwiches which were uber yummy if I say so myself. (secret recipe: 12 grain bread, whipped cream cheese mixed with tarragon, chives and dill. Cucumber peeled and thinly sliced, sprinkled with sea salt and white pepper.  Spread both slices of bread with cheese mix layer cucumbers three or four layers thick. I left the crust on but at home or when I am feeling really poopoopedoo I toss the crust outside for the crows).

We shared a raspberry-kiwi salad in strawberry yogurt, walnuts, pears and lemon water.

A family of geese came by, the adults closely guarding the babies. Kate shared a story with me of witnessing a pod of orcas swimming with her boat in the San Juan Islands. They, too, swam in a formation that protected the young.

Kate dropped me back at my house around 2 or 2:30. I took a nice shower and layed on my bed with a new novel and promptly fell asleep. Naps are even yummier than cucumber sandwiches.

Thursday, June 19, 2014, was another good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!