May 12, 2013

Live Like You Mean It

"I don't deny that there should be priests to remind men that they will one day die. I only say it is necessary to have another kind of priests, called poets, to remind men that they are not dead yet."
G. K. Chesterton

"Society is one vast conspiracy for carving one into the kind of statue it likes, and then placing it in the most convenient niche it has."
Randolph Bourne (the other Bourne)

We people are often on a fast track to being what society or our micro-culture want us to be. We have dreams when we are young about what we "want to be" when we grow up. We are driven by our passion to do or be or effect...something. Then our culture reaches its bony fingers in and points at us every time we stand out. Some of us slink back to the shadows and some, though not enough of us, take another step forward and another and another.

I wanted to be a doctor since I was about 8 or 9 years old. I wanted to research genetics to help prevent birth disorders. Most importantly, I also wanted to be a mother, more than anything in the world, I wanted to have a dozen babies, my own little tribe and I wanted to teach them that they were beautiful.(thank goodness my body drew the line at three). I wanted them to grow up honoring themselves, believing with every breath in their bodies that they were loved and capable and beautiful. I wanted them to grow up being able to make their own decisions, not the choices that I would make, but the choices that were best for them. I wanted them not to be afraid of making decisions that went against the current.

I believe that my children are not waiting for "someday" to live but live now.

I believe that my children have not let society mold them and then crawled into the little box reserved for them to blend and not stand out. I believe my beautiful children live like they mean it. They are impacting this world and changing it for the good.

So on this Mother's Day, I want to put the palms of my hands together in front of my chest and bow to God or All There Is and say "Thank You" from the deepest recesses of my heart and soul for the honor of being a mother.

It is, indeed, a Happy Mother's Day.

 

1 comment:

Comment Please but Play Nice!