November 25, 2013

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

Several years ago, during a heavy duty stretch of stress, I made the decision not to watch the news, read the news, listen to the news (including Talk Radio) for 90 days.

Some acquaintances told me it was irresponsible but I assured them that if something really vital came up or the world was ending that I was sure someone would let me know.

At the end of two weeks I was a new person. Incredible change in stress level. After 90 days I returned to watching televised news only if it is local or if there is something big national or international. If there is a global-type or national trauma, I will watch the first 10 minutes (maybe half an hour at most). I will not watch anything Diane Sawyer reports as I believe she should be narrating As the Drama Turns or The Young and the Pretentious. She can make a Campbell Soup commercial sound like the big bad wolf just ate the last little piggy and he's coming after you, in fact, he's at your door!

Once the "experts" are called in, the report is being repeated or people are "estimating" this and that, I click back to HGTV. I am sure the "corrected" details will be on tomorrow's newspapers and I will read what I need to, if I need to.

During the Pointing Fingers Fest of the last political race, Facebook got pretty nasty.  Some family members (in-law not blood) "unfriended" me because I didn't agree with their political views.  I have to say that I actually unfriended my husband's uncle.  I love a good debate. I do. Name calling and bullying is just unacceptable.

In the past two months it has gotten harder and harder to get on FB and check out what family and friends are up to.

Please know that I am very much aware of the cruelty done to babies, children, women, puppies, dogs. My heart breaks for all of them.  I don't want to disparage the pain and malice that is done to anyone. But, each day, picture after picture and story after story appear on my homepage. I have three dogs living at my house. I don't have cats because two of the dogs don't respect cats.  I would donate to animal shelters but I barely make my mortgage every month. I have sponsored family in fund raising events for their local animal shelter. I do donate to One Safe Place and Child Abuse Prevention and when I do we eat potatoes for a week.

How about if you warn us that the picture coming up is going to make us vomit with it's grisly details?  What if you only post one a day instead of 8 or 9?  What if you check the age and source of the pictures of abused babies or missing girls and brutalized puppies and dogs? Last week four people posted the same Missing Girl picture. She was 16. The picture was 4 years old, they found her body 3 years ago.  When you don't check dates, when you don't do your homework than people stop seeing them. Then the picture and information of the girl that was taken this morning gets passed over.

Be responsible. Be accountable.

Studies have been done...oh, screw the studies....I can't handle it anymore. My heart knows the evil that is out there and there is only so much one can do. Please, stop shoving it in our faces.

Another thorn in my side..."If you love Jesus...." If you believe in God...." "If you believe that Christ is your savior" you will share this picture".  Did I miss catechism the day they taught the 11th Commandment?  Thou shalt honor all pictures of the Lord, thy God and passeth them on.

Isn't there somewhere in the bible where Jesus says that prayer should be a private affair devoid of public display: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners [and on Facebook], that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you they have received their reward.  But when you pray, go into your room (or closet.) and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret..."  (Matthew 6:5-6 RSV).

Maybe I will just go over the friends list. Make sure that I get Notifications from my kids, kids-in-law and grandchildren, sister and brother and call it good.

p.s. friends, don't come over today. I'm in one of those moods! If you do come over, bring armor and bourbon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!