January 23, 2018

Conspiracy


My father wants his car back! He is insisting (I'm sure at the insistence of my mom).

He can't drive it. He has Parkinson's and complains that it is hard to move his feet. He is never sure which foot will move when he walks.

I've had the car parked in my driveway since his heart attack in early December. My sister, The Guy or myself have drive the folks every where they want to go for the last two years.

Mom has a way of manipulating Dad. We discovered she had him drive into town several months ago! (Just a moment while I scream!)

Everyone agrees with me. Don't take the car back. Don't take the car back. DO NOT RETURN THE CAR.  I even had a doctor's appt last week. She asked about my blood pressure being up, only 135/86 but that's high for me.  I brought her up-to-date on the folks. Don't take the car back were her direct orders!  She just laughed when I asked if I could get a dr.'s note from her ordering not to return the car.

But my dad wants his car. It is hard not to honor my dad's wishes. I respect him more than any man I've ever met.

So, I'm thinking I may take the car back tomorrow. Freshly washed and vacuumed. Oil changed and tire pressure checked. Good as new!

I'm also thinking I might bring the distributor cap home with me. I really like that cap! Would look good on the mantle next to the fuel pump!

16 comments:

  1. While reading this I was thinking you may wish to take a little something with you. Great idea😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will not leave the car in running condition.

      Delete
  2. I like that idea; take it back, but remove certain parts.
    you are protecting your father from hurting himself and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like weather is going to be too bad to take back...oh shucks!

      Delete
  3. Go to the DMV or other state authority, report your concerns about your Dad's inability to drive, and get them to send a letter requiring he be tested to see if his driver's licence needs to be revoked. If he truly can't be trusted on the road anymore, this is the best way of handling it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Dad just passed his license renewal test at the end of December. No driving test or dr note, just the written test.

      He was awarded a safe driver's award when he retired. After working for the same company for over 35 years, he was never in an accident or received a ticket. He has always been super conscientious but my mom is extremely harsh (saying that as nice as I can). I'm afraid Dad would get in the car just to get away from her or to make her stop screaming.

      Delete
  4. I like your plan. But I like Debra's plan/idea better. Your dad might get the car fixed and end up on the road again. Maybe injury or even kill someone unintentionally. I don't mean to sound negative but cars are like missiles on the road if not operated responsibly; they can be very dangerous, even deadly. Even your dad can get hurt - or worse - behind the wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra's plan is a good one but I feel like he has lost so much already. Dad and Mom live pretty remote so I know he wouldn't get car fixed. He might even be relieved if it doesn't start.

      Delete
  5. Please do bring the distributor cap home and a few spark plugs and whatever else you've got to remove to protect your parents, the public and family from getting sued. The best way to love and respect your father is to protect him from himself. Debra's plan above it the best thing to do. I've been through it with my dad, so I know it's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult. Hard being the 'bad cop' when it comes to one's parents!

      Delete
  6. Debra is absolutely correct. It's tough love, but you are protecting them as well as everyone that they might cross paths with on the roads. I'd call his doctor, too. There will be fights, he'll be mad, but you are saving lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their doctor is pretty worthless. We are looking for a new doctor for both of them. Every complaint they bring to doctor, he just says, "Well, that's what happen with kids your age!"

      Delete
  7. Toni, such madness. I would agree not to take the car back. The what if scenario would haunt me. Sorry you're going through that, you have to be the parent now I guess. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comment Please but Play Nice!