January 17, 2018

If you could...

Speaking of birthdays brings to mind the subject of age.

Age is one of those 'things' that is closely related to perception. I have a close friend who is six years older than me and routinely takes her bike on 50 mile rides, she hikes mountains and travels to Peru and Iceland and Norway for super adventurous  vacations.

Another dear friend, three years younger than I am, has never left California. She  visited Disneyland a million years ago but anything more than 50 miles from home freaks her out. Though she is one of the most well-read, intelligent and articulate women I know.

I have two friends, women, who are 3 and 4 years older than my soon-to-be 67.  Each of them owns her own Harley-Davidson and both make many long distance rides, with or without a group.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be any younger than 45, though I sure wish I had my 45 year old body; she was hot and her knees and shoulder worked just fine! (Silly grin).

Being in my 40's, 50's and 60's has been emotionally and psychologically liberating. I mostly don't care what other people think of me or my beliefs. I have boundaries based on personal values not cultural...finally, and I am not afraid to stand up for them. I'm not afraid to admit I don't know something. I am not afraid to say 'NO!'

Physically, though, not as good as I would like. Titanium knee and recent shoulder surgery has me feeling a little broken now and then.

My zest for life is still hardy! I want to learn, I want to do, I want to dance and draw and paint and sing and make love. Not necessarily in that order but I don't mind multi-tasking and doing a couple of the above at the same time, though paint does tend to get on everything!

It seems to me, that my finest year was 59! It was a good year. I was in top condition, could walk several miles, was far more social than I am today. Yeah, if I could be one age for the rest of my life, I would be 59!

If you could be any age, any at all, what age would you choose to be for the rest of your life? Why would you be that age? If you're pretty satisfied with the status quo, what was your favorite age?

As long as we are talking about age...what did you want to be when you grew up?

Photo courtesy of http://quotes.yourdictionary.com/author/satchel-paige/610985

13 comments:

  1. You have a good attitude regarding aging! Emotionally, psychologically and financially, I'm happy to be the age I am right now too (60). But physically, I'd like to have my 30-year old body back again -- beautiful skin, nice firm bazooms and horny as hell all the time! But no periods -- that part of post-menopausal life rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with post-menopausal life rocking! Luckily, for me, I had a hysterectomy at the age of 22. Just the uterus, not ovaries. Heart breaking at the time, but looking back, I wanted 12 kids and already had three. I would be a raving lunatic if the universe had left me unchecked! Now I'm just a little crazy (and that's okay!).

      Delete
  2. I ain't grown up yet (and never will be); I'll let ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Toni :) Well, let's see...I would love to have my 42 year old body back! Only because that was my healthiest year physically, mentally and emotionally. I've noticed since then that the aches and pains are daily...sigh...and I'm starting menopause. I'm going to be 50 next month and I'm trying really hard to limber up my body so I don't feel so crappy each time I get off my chair or out of bed! I used to be more active...but since we are babysitting the extra 2 dogs, my daily dogs walks are out. It's too much work...and I find the lack of physical activity bothers me.

    But mentally and emotionally, I have no age! :) Alex is 20 years younger than I am and he feels no age either. So that's a pretty good thing! :) He always tells me how beautiful and sexy I am...it's very nice. I used to long for my perky chest, but it doesn't even matter anymore lol! :)

    But...as they say, would you do it all over again? NO EFFING WAY. I LOVE being my age. I love the life experience. I love knowing what I don't want in my life and what makes me happy. I love the confidence that age and life experience has given me. I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks of me! :)

    I have often said I plan to live well into my 100's as an active, vibrant woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great mind-set for living to 100. Longevity runs in our family (could be the Tequlia and Hatch chili). I agree, no way I would go back and do anything over.

      I don't think I have a set age in my head as to how old I am. I often read articles about successful women starting businesses or selling their art who are years younger than I am. My first thought is typically, "When I am that age...." Then I remember I was once that age!

      Delete
  4. You have a terrific attitude! I'd probably choose to be 40 forever, although I love not having to deal with periods anymore. And being an empty nester is kind of cool, too. So...maybe I'd choose this stage in my life with a 40-year-old body :) That would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty nifty still being female without periods! Everyone I know seemed to be accompanied by special women's items every vacation, holiday and big conference!

      It's good to be happy about the stage you're in right now. To me, it feels like the curtains just opened up on my life's Act III and this one is going to be great!

      Delete
  5. Oh I do not enjoy aging. I loved loved loved my 40's. I would be happy if I could still be in my 40's. I will take my 25 yr old body and face and me spiritually, emotionally and everything in my 40's. Best decade ever. People always say, but don't you like yourself better as you got older? No. I am the same. Less care to what others think but I was like that at age 40 too but my boobs were still up where God originally put them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting question and I am not sure. I am 47 right now and feel pretty good. My body has a little bit of wear and tear but I can still do most of the things I want to do without much complaining. Have a great weekend and hope your birthday is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked being 60, but I like all of my ages, they are each different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Shife,
    My birthday was, indeed, fabulous! Thank you. Bodies do have a way of creaking, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. DKzody,I'm enjoying most ages, I just want to cruise in a nicer running model!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Please but Play Nice!