September 25, 2023

Covid Coping

 A random comment popped up today on a post I made pre-Covid.. 

The post was right after I painted over some of my murals and painted the fireplace bricks. We were "neutralizing" the house. Life was extremely hectic; we were taking care of my parents as their health declined; Frank was still working. We needed our house to be less colorful, less jazzy, more peaceful, to help calm ourselves when returning from chaos.  

We were also decluttering and packing some items as we prepared to move out of state.

I posted several photos of the changes. The photo below is one corner of the family room. 


We were making progress! Then my parents passed and Covid hit. 

Isolation and grief reigned. Restaurants closed, no one was taking donations, no one buying off of Marketplace or Craigslist, no one visiting, everything on the news was just plain ugly...you know, you were there! 

What got you through Covid? 

Many humans self-medicate to get through trauma. Some smoke, some drink or take drugs, others just gaze out the window and drool (been there). 

My preferred self-prescribed remedy for stress: Adopting houseplants, lots and lots of houseplants. I have fur babies and photosynthesis babies!

I revisited the post from said random comment  Cue the laughter and humiliation as  I looked up at the corner as it is today. I iddendiately jumped up and removed a couple of the plants to clear the jungle a bit! I can't believe I've filled the corner to the brim! Then I shot the following photo!

Realization:  I haven't decluttered at all. I just got rid of stuff to make room for different (more) stuff!


Shame on me. 

I should go to Lowes and pickup more  boxes for packing and maybe more garbage bags for donations. Gotta get back in declutter and purge state.-of-mind.  Maybe tI'll ake a quick peek in the nursery department...just in case someone wants to come home with me! You know, as long as I'm there!

I just realized we don't have a Sansevieria!

How did you get through Covid? Wine? Road rage? Netflix? Maybe you didn't cope well and are reading this blog from your cell. Inquiring minds, you know!

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I broke my femur and spent way too many months on my back, recuperating. Then physical therapy came to the house, then I worked on my own, then it was over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joanne, I had no idea you broke your femur! I hope the healing and therapy have helped you be better than before!
      I won't complain about Covid ever again!

      Delete
  2. I think your plant corner looks warm, gorgeous and inviting! Love the healthy looking plants, the art on the walls, that lamp and the beautiful chunk of amethyst on the corner. And of course, your peacefully snoozing dog!

    I'm an introvert by nature, so the restrictions of covid were no big deal to me. My Rare One was my main Bubble Buddy and so that got me out of the house to go over to play cards at her house and share meals a few days each week. The other safe form of socializing was of course with blogging buddies on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments about my corner. I should introduce all my gorgeous green babies some day on my blog. My snoozing Rex is over 16 years old but still acts like a pup!

      I'm also an introvert. Very happy to hang out at home so Covid wasn't as big a challenge for me, just a good excuse to adopt more plants!

      Delete
  3. We moved early covid which was not fun. The one thing that was most problematic were my houseplants. I wanted every last one of them but some had to be sacrificed and some did not make the transition. Ah well, I tried.

    We survived the pandemic with a neighborhood outdoor book club. It really helped with the feeling of isolation.

    ps. I got a giant sansevieria in the orphanage (clearance section) at Lowes for 10 bucks for a 10 gallon! It's my pride and joy.

    pps. That wall hanging is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the challenges of moving during Covid. It was difficult enough just gettinng groceries!

      Bookclubs aare the best, aren't they? I loved our old bookclub and really bonded with the other gals. I miss it.

      We're still planning on relocating (possibly Virginia or Ohio) and I can't imagine leaving any of my plants behind.

      I do love my copper sun on the wall. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. It was easy for me to be safe in during covid because of work from home.


    packers and movers in itanagar

    ReplyDelete

Comment Please but Play Nice!