September 05, 2023

Remembering Your Lasts

 We document and/or celebrate all our "firsts"; first solid food, first steps, first day of school, first kiss. First everything!

Yesterday I tried to get out of my comfy chair and had to try twice; rocking forward, then pushing with hands. I walked down the hall and realized that I hold onto the wall to stabilize and balance myself. (Lord help me if I ever get pulled over and asked to walk a straight line!)

It made me think if I can remember the last time I just stood up from my chair; any chair. When did I last walk down the hall without leaning against the wall?

Then I tried to remember the last time I walked out to the car without using the side of car to assure myself I wouldn't trip or fall. 

When was the last time I walked out to the yard and just bent over to pull a weed instead of sitting on the ground? Hell, when was the last time I could just pop up off the ground.

This summer I discovered I can only swim 1 1/2 laps in the pool without turning  to float on my back to catch my breath. Last summer I was could easily swim 15 laps. I can't get out of pool on my own this year; I need a hand to help me step out.

Taking a shower wears me out! Don't even get me started on shaving my legs!

When the hell did I get old!!!!

My goal is to do some strength and endurance exercises...starting with lifting 2 lb weights 3 times...a week!!! 

Actually, besides trying to get some stamina back, my real goal is to pay attention to all the mundane things I do each and every day. I'll pay attention to putting socks on, cooking dinner, walking the 30 feet to retrieve the mail. 

I'll also cherish the precious events, every hug, every smile, every cup of coffee shared with a friend, every single "goodnight sweetheart, I love you."

Do you have a "lasts list?"

On a lighter note: The guy discovered a whole tract of Whovilles on the side of Mt. Shasta. He took a picture to prove that the Lemurians aren't the only beings residing on the mountain!



4 comments:

  1. hey Toni hope all is good towards you my friend ! sorry i forgot your age but your posts reflects that you have difficulty in your mobility . i believe that the idea of exercise will surly help you with this
    may path be ease for you and for all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baili, I've missed you!
      Mobility is a problem lately. My left knee is bone-on-bone and needs a total knee replacement but my pulmonologist will not sign release because I have pulmonary fibrosis. Just frustrating when the instructions from doctor is to keep moving but moving is so painful.
      My husband and I are joining the YMCA so that we can swim year round and use some of the exercise machines!
      Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to know, usually, when something is the last time. By contrast, it's easy to know when something is the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trus, it is hard to know when something is the last time. It just seems to I have been more aware of simple, mundane events in my life lately. I'm also remembering a whole-lotta firsts, too!

      Delete

Comment Please but Play Nice!