April 10, 2024

Apologies and Other Stuff

 Apologies to all my blog-friends. No good excuses for not keeping up to date except, well, shit happens and some shit doesn't happen. It seems like in our household we've got it all mixed up!

I do have good news about Lily, our little Chihuahua/Terrier cross. Ever since we've had her, her breath has been atrocious but we kind of figured it came with being an older dog! We've taken her to the vet several times (usually for foxtail removals) but none of the vets have ever told us she had issues with her teeth. She had that typical esophagus cough that Chihuahua's get but a little CBD calms her down and the cough goes away. 

A couple of months ago, she started sneezing and then she would shake her head violently. We took her in, thinking that maybe she had a foxtail up her nose. Nope! Our poor baby's teeth were so bad that she had a serious sinus infection with an accompanying fistula in her nasal cavity. Over $3000 later she is happy, acts like a puppy again, doesn't sneeze, cough or shake her head. AND her breath is sweet as a baby's!

She seems to be a whole new precious little dog. 

The not-so-good news that goes along with that is that the Guy and I have been putting money aside to help us update the house to prepare it for sale. We don't want to get into investments, we want to just pay as we go. 

We put a new roof on the house, installed a new HVAC. We demolished the tile and grout counters in kitchen and had quartz counters installed. We had just put away enough to update the guest bathroom when Rex, our Border Collie, got cancer. That surgery and care was over $3500. He is fully recovered and doing super fine, especially for an almost 17 year old dog. We waited a bit to do the bathroom and ended up doing a lot ourselves but we got it done...mostly!

So we had just saved were pretty close to enough to redo our own bathroom when Lily's surgery came up. So, I guess we will be waiting on the updating on that pretty ugly 1980's bathroom.

But, we have two healthy, happy pups and that's what matters.

On the personal side. A pharmacist at U C Davis helped me get a grant to pay the $3000/mo copay for Ofev for my Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. I've been on it for just over a month. Other than feeling like vomiting two-thirds of the day and night and having to stay within sprinting distance to a bathroom, I'm doing okay with it.

The ablation on my knee worked pretty well but I find myself off-balance quite a bit. I got a disabled parking placard and I use my dad's walker.  I feel old and tired. My energy level is damn low and honestly, I'm wrestling with whether i want to keep trying to thrive or just get some good books, go to bed and wait for the IPF to come get me. 

Basically I guess I'm grieving the loss of me. The active me I used to be. The me that could walk to my bedroom and back without having to sit down and catch my breath. I miss the me that could go out back and work in the yard and lose track of time because there was no pain to remind me how long it's been and I didn't have to rest for 10 minutes for every 5 minutes (if that) of work. 

When I was growing up anytime my mother caught me just sitting and reading a book, she would tell me, "I'm sure there is something in this house that needs cleaning before you can just sit and read." I haven't outgrown that voice in my head. When the Guy and I are working on a project, I feel so guilty that I have to go and sit for 20 minutes to catch my breath while he carries on without me.

He absolutely never makes me feel guilty. He wants me to rest but I am filled with guilt and shame that I'm so useless. 

Time to feed the pups and take some really icky pill! 

I miss you all.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Rex and Lily have had their health problems successfully treated. I'm sure both are great companions and comforts to you. Also good news about the grant to fund your prescription's co-pay. But sorry to hear you are down about the loss of your formerly active self. Anyone would feel the same way, I'm sure. It's hard to accept change and limitations. But please be easy and gentle with yourself! Remember that old saying that we are human "beings," not "doings." All we have to do is simply "be" and that's enough. Best wishes to you, Toni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, you always exude kindness and compassion. Thank you for the reminder that we are human beings not human doings.

      A friend and I have been entertaining thoughts of getting tattoos together. She discovered that she is allergic to the ink which means no mtching tattoos. I had planned on getting a little bear cub (like my dad's) with a rose compass. I have latino blood (and a bit of everything else) so I decided to get "Yo vivo" tattooed on my wrist. translation, "I live."
      Maybe that will help remind me!

      Thank you, again!

      Delete
  2. I understand the guilt of sitting as well as the grieving. Honestly I wish I didn't understand. :-) Glad the pups are fine. We got insurance when we got our dog and my God did we use it. It was a blessing a $4800 torn UCL was only $480 for us. And as she aged it just got to be more $$. It was decision I fought my husband on and he was right. Shh...don't tell him I said that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've often considered pet insurance but our pets have always been pretty healthy except for and occasional foxtail that gets in an ear or in a paw. Now that they are both 16 or 17 I wonder if it would be sky high.

      A also wish you didn't know the guilt of sitting as well as grieving. May we both get passed it!

      Delete

Comment Please but Play Nice!