April 14, 2013

Sprung My Mom Because God Told Me To!

I believe in God. Sincerely believe in God. Though I am not sure that my definition of God is the same definition as most people who are deeply rooted in Churchianity.  I have my definition and I have a personal relationship with my God.

We have conversations. Sometimes I talk, Sometimes I listen. God talks to all of us but speaks many languages so listening to God means being in a state of awareness and vigilance.  When you ask God a question, listen for the answer. When you get the answer there will always be validation.
Sophia of Wisdom by Dr. Mary Plaster

This morning at Mass the Gospel was from John 21 1-19. A couple of lines touched my heart with that synchronicity through which life and God always speaks to me. 

 "Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

My mom has been in a Skilled Nursing Facility Rehab for a week for cognitive therapy from a stroke 11 days ago.  She was miserable and in the week she was there she had not received any of the therapy she needed, only physical therapy, which she really didn't need as much as cognitive. The constant noise and chaos was totally agitating her, which frustrated her and confused her. She wanted out really bad. 

In our conversations this week, I have confided in God that I just didn't know what to do. Is she better off at a Rehab or should be go home?  

After Mass Dad, Frank and I went to the Rehab and checked Mom out for 4 hours. We brought her to my house which is only a minute away from the facility. The first thing she wanted was to take a shower, a private shower where there isn't some nursing assistant watching her. She took her clothes and shampoo and lotions into my bathroom. She was completely independent. She did not "stretch out (her) hands" and someone else didn't "dress her"! Obviously, she should not be led "where (she) did not want to go."

Then she came out, hair pretty, dressed nice, she looked good. 

We sat and watched the Giants baseball game. Frank and I left for an hour to give Mom and Dad some peace and quiet. We brought back Burger King because Mom loves Whoppers and she hated the food at the Rehab. 

By the time we had to return her to the facility she was a completely different person. Relaxed, calm, less confused.She really didn't want to go back. Dad didn't want her to go back. 

While Dad, Mom and Frank returned to Mom's room, I went to the nurses station to sign Mom back in.  Who do you think is sitting at the station, on a Sunday afternoon, catching up on his patients progress? Yup, my mother's Doc.

Answer, Validation, Sprung! Just that easy.

Gratitude Journal for not only April 14, 2013 but for my life.
I am thankful for God.
I am thankful to God.
I am thankful for my Dad.
I am thankful for my Mom.
I am thankful for my partner in crime and "prison breaks", my husband Frank.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!