February 27, 2018

A Lesson Learned

Home Safe.

After lots of debate and discussion, we decided to leave earlier than originally planned for our drive straight into the winter storm of the year!

The Guy bought cables for me, packed up two extra blankets, bottled water and oranges, and tore down a huge box into a long piece of cardboard about 10' long (in case I had to get on the ground to put on snow cables or work on car!) Always thinking, that Guy!

The sun was shining when I reached Lyn's house, not a cloud in the sky. The mountains were beautiful. We packed up her stuff and got back on I-5.

Mt. Shasta and Castle Crags looming in the distance were bright and shiny. Still no clouds. The wind was a different matter. Mr. Wind was blowing with all his might.

All this sunshine and I'm still full of anxiety, worried about the 7 mile steep grade headed up to Siskiyou Pass.

We round the mountains just after Weed (yes, there is a town in California named Weed!), we've made it through the Cascades! No problems! Of course there were the 18-wheelers swaying in the wind and crossing lanes at the last minute but that is a given.

There is a long stretch of plains and rolling hills between the Cascades and the Siskiyous, Yreka nestles in on the west side of the valley; a total sucker for the icy north winds.  Looming in the distance is a menacing, bank of dark ominous clouds! (I start wondering why I hadn't called the kids and told them how much I love them and how proud of them I am!)

We head up the grade, sun still shining on us, pavement dry.  We get to the Pass, road still dry, sun still shining. From Pass to hotel is about 10 minutes. By the time we get to hotel, the dark clouds have swept in. It is only 1:30 but seems that night has just leaped out. Temperature is about 36.

Just made it.

Looking out the hotel window at 6 AM, everything is white! Car is surrounded by 6 inches of snow. I know you Canada and snow country people are thinking 6" is nothing. You have to remember, I am from Redding; 2 inches of snow and we close the schools!

Started car to heat it up for Lyn. She is wearing pajamas because she just did pre-surgery wipe down.
She also only wore slippers! Six inches of snow! How she going to get to car? The Guy's cardboard!
I laid it on the snow, like a red carpet! Isn't he the best?

Packed up the cardboard and headed to hospital. But First, getting out of parking lot that no one has driven in, so I don't have tracks to follow in. More anxiety. Backing out of spot was okay until Malibu decided to slide sideways! Why did we decided to book a hotel with a sloped parking lot?

Roads were mushy but doable. Hospital parking lot was fun, again, tiniest bit of slope so my little car refuses to park facing west because there is a grade of about 2%!  (Could it be that my car suffers from more anxiety than her driver???) So, I back out, turn around and park east, sliding into perfect spot.
Cute little Malibu but she's going to need some therapy!
Lyn is admitted and on to surgery. The sun pops out and I discovered that I am in paradise! I love Ashland anyway, but dusted in snow, she turns into a magic world!


While Lyn was in surgery, I took a walk. Discovered that in my hurry to leave early, I left camera at home, right by the door, where I wouldn't forget it!  Met some nice people walking their dogs, some dogs had little booties. Scared a guy in a long (cashmere looking) top coat, carrying his gourmet coffee and newspaper. He saw me coming and crossed the street! (That's right, buddy, be afraid of the old woman in a USC sweatshirt and levis!) He could probably smell the sandalwood and patchouli on me and thought, "Oh, shit, an old hippie!"

Talked with Julie, my Portland friend. Another storm was coming down from her end of the state and there are several mountain ranges to cross to get there. We decided to skip my visit.

Best part of experience. Lyn sailed through the surgery. Knee replacement is a whole new world since mine (or maybe it's just Oregon). She didn't have to have General Anesthesia. They do an epidural, place a small catheter in thigh, just above the knee for immediate pain control meds for 36 hours after surgery (no narcotics or waiting 20 minutes for pain meds to take effect, yahoo!) and she is given something to put her in a bit of a 'twilight state', she is awake but mostly unaware during surgery. She may hear conversations and maybe not. No urine catheter, no intubation, no post surgical vomiting from anesthesia. She walked 70' yesterday, just a couple of hours after her surgery.

Headed back tomorrow to bring her home. Next storm is not until Thursday, so no worries! The Guy is going with me to help get Lyn in and out.

So now you are all aware of one of my most dreaded fears! What are yours. What makes you sweat bullets? 

Those of you that drive in the snow on a regular basis:


14 comments:

  1. good for you and good for her going through surgery so well!!!!!!! We live in Northern Ontario Canada, snow stay with us from October until well into April, snow storms in May are a common occurrence,, driving in snow takes time, patience and common sense. I'm 62 and until I lost my eye sight I drove all the time, once I spun out, a few times I was stuck but its the slush that drags you ,, you can't do a thing if the slush takes you,, no steering, no braking. When the highway has a heavy layer of mushy wet ice snow it creates a layer beneath the tires that makes the tires almost float upon it,, disabling your ability to steer,, slushy roads are bad. The thing that makes me sweat bullets most I would say are bears, smelling or hearing one when i'm in the forest, or back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I lived where it snowed I would turn my bedroom into a pantry and sleep in the hallway. I can't imagine having to run to the store for groceries. I have patience and common sense but the anxiety is all consuming!

      I'm not that fond of bears either!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the trip and your friend's surgery both turned out well! I won't tell you my horror stories of driving during blizzards but let's just say it's not fun and yes, I sweated bullets too! The last time I really sweated bullets was when I had colon surgery 8 years ago. But what can you do? Just have to let go and put your trust in the surgeon.

    Yes, Toni, feel free to take whatever meme or anything else you want from my blog. No need to ask! After all, I've swiped them all myself from elsewhere, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the horror stories and I remember a couple from being a kid in Colorado or watching pile-ups on the news. When we got to the hospital we found out that the Dr. almost didn't make it. He had been over the hill too!

      Delete
  3. I don't mind driving in snow, it is the other idiots on the snow that scare me so In prefer to stay home. I have a Jeep and it will get through most weather, but it can't avoid someone else in a hard slide. Now driving up and down mountains scares me even in good weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh and reminded me of a day my dad laughed at the idiots! Dad was born and raised in Colorado. He is the best driver ever and drove in crazy blizzards because of his job. We moved to California when I was 9.

      We had a house in Santa Clara that sat next to a dead end. Orchards were behind us. The road was busy and all traffic had to turn right of left.

      The morning it snowed, my dad moved his recliner be able to look out the living room window. We thought he was just missing the snow but when one of us commented on his sitting in front of the window, he said he was having a blast watching all the idiots who couldn't make a turn in the snow and were sliding up onto our lawn or the neighbor's lawn.

      Good to be watching idiots than out driving with them!

      Delete
  4. I hate driving in snow due to all the idiots out there who cannot.

    I am VERY impressed with your friend's surgical procedure. hope she continues to heal well and be pain-free soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2nd day - post op. She was discharged from hospital and we just dropped her off at her house with a couple of friends who are going to stay with her for a week or so! I can't believe how good she is doing!

      Snow flurries at Siskiyou Pass for about 4 miles, roads clear!

      Delete
  5. Must admit also impressed as to how the operation went. We are in England beset by snow at the moment, especially bad up here in North Yorks but the farmers are driving up and down with their tractors keeping the road clear. thank god there are no bears in this country ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally impressed with it too! Going to look that doctor up when it's time to get my other knee done!

      God bless the farmers!

      Delete
  6. I'm really happy to hear that your trip and your friend's surgery turned out well. If you're not used to snow like we are up in Canada, it can be quite intimidating. I've driven in snowstorms and blizzards and during periods of freezing rain (absolutely horrifying), and each time it's as terrifying as the last. These driving experiences certainly have me sweating bullets! No matter how many years of winter I experience in Canada, I can do without this type of driving weather. So you did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how good it feels to know that experienced snow people are as anxious as me! (Sad, huh?)

      I can see why Rain buys a month's worth of groceries at a time. I would live in my house from end of October until end of April and hibernate like the bears!

      Delete
  7. Hi Toni - fascinating 'horror' read ... now I'm in Canada I'm doing a bit of the snow driving - but staying put if I can! That road sounds an interesting drive. Great reading about Lyn's knee ... incredible surgery ... I had a hip op about 4 years ago ... and really didn't suffer - yet that knee one sounds so so easy ... good luck to her and her onward improvement.

    Good luck with the drive up - but you'll have The Guy with you - so that'll make you happier! ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got home. Got Lyn home and tucked into bed. Made the ride like a champ! She has friends staying with her for a little bit.

      The ride was easy-peasy, only a tiny bit of snow flurries at very top of the big pass.

      Delete

Comment Please but Play Nice!