November 25, 2017

Black and White Challenge

Don't know if any of you have seen the B&W Photo Challenge on Facebook in the last month, the challenge is to post a B&W each day for 7 days and then to challenge another FaceBookie to do the same.

A friend posted some incredible photos and then challenged me. I sweated it out for a day, thinking I would never be able to post anything as beautiful as I had seen on some of the pages. Then I thought, what the heck. It's not a contest, I have to keep reminding myself that I am not about competition but collaboration! Though, that I have to keep repeating that mantra tells me there is probably a pretty hardy competition bone somewhere in my body, so I am just going to "fake it until I make it!"

I thought I would share the photos I posted.

(See, the way this works is: You tell me that my pictures are the best! Using the best (and most) superlatives you know. Then I will be all "shucks, they're just some old B&W's I had hanging around".)

Actually, I am pretty happy with the way a couple of them turned out, so I am challenging myself to doing more black and white photography this year. Still, to be quite honest, Ken, Frank, the other Frank and Fran kicked my butt. I discovered their secret for sharp, clear images:
1. Don't Drink Coffee Before A Shoot
2. If You Drank Coffee, Use A Tripod

My thoughts on the advice:
1. If I Haven't Had Coffee, I Wouldn't Be On A Photo Shoot.
2. Tripods Are Cumbersome and Pretentious
(and I look like a fool when one of the legs collapses and trips me up!)

Black and White Challenge 2017

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona






First image is the back side of Mt. Lassen, near sunset.  Great spot just passed Devastated Area Trail.

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
 Front side of Mt. Lassen from Broke Off Meadow. Great place for a picnic and kicking back with a good book.

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
The BLM land behind my folks home. They live on the Sacramento River and this area is about a quarter mile from them.  Incredible spot for Osprey, Great Blue Herons, Cranes and big fat Hawks. Even saw a dozen whooping cranes hanging out here a couple of years ago.

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
Meh!

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
Franks' tree in Millville Plains.  Most photographed tree in Shasta County!


Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
Trees! Some of my best friends! Do you ever sit in a cluster of trees and look up into the canopy? Love it!

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
 West of Willows in the Spring. Wild flowers were everywhere. Beautiful Day for a drive.\

Photo Copyright  by Toni Tona
For fun, took a little fellow out to sit in the mushrooms. The clusters of 'shrooms in my yard are so amazing at times.

Anyone want to take up the challenge. Post a B & W photo for 7 days? 

8 comments:

  1. Some wonderful shots! See, I would just cheat and run some old coloured photos through an editing app to turn them B & W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mail! I don't know if my Nikon actually shoots b&w.

      Delete
  2. I have seen this challenge on Facebook. Some friends are participating. Your photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning on doing a 52 weeks photo challenge but still cannot lift my camera and lens for the tasks, so I thought this one would be a fun substitute. In and out and no one gets hurt.

      Thanks for the comment...'shucks'!

      Delete
  3. Excellent shots! I looked at it as another 'chain letter' that I wasn't going to participate in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew! It could be looked at as a chain letter. So many of my friends are photographers that who post photos of their latest adventures that I never questioned it! It was a fun challenge, so I guess they got me!

      Delete
  4. Ah...these photos are beyond BEAUTIFUL!!!

    you won the challenge already with these magnificent shots dear Toni!
    truly breathtaking!
    my son is also taking part in such challenge as it is wide spread i think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend. It would be fun to see your son's photos.

      Delete

Comment Please but Play Nice!