December 10, 2014

Purging

Gal pals and I had a wonderful conversation last night about purging and editing! Though most people, hopefully, are in a constant state of flux and change, the four of us seem to be going through some major changes.

We are all editing our lives. Somehow, we have all been approaching closets, drawers and boxes tucked here and there with an overwhelming emetic spirit.  We are dumping the excess.  Those journals that have lost their importance but still tucking away the ones that continue to hold an important place in our lives. Sorting through our books, tossing some and keeping the meaningful ones and the ones we tend to read annually, (Little Women, Gone With The Wind, As I Lay Dying, Their Eyes Were Watching God). Clothes that were specifically for work; you know, the skirts, blouses and pant suits that smell of rules and regulations and time cards, are tossed into bags and boxes for the Women's Rescue store.  

My pals are even tossing out shoes that were meant for the office. I am saved from that chore due to the diligence of my two pit bull pups who have eaten at least one of every pair of shoes I own except the pair on my feet. Yes, I put them under my pillow when I sleep, what's the big deal?

We still find little mementos of events that we are not ready to part with; maybe next year or maybe never.

Even our personal boundaries are fluctuating. We have found that many boundaries are sorely in need of editing. Some are so tight that we are strangling ourselves in anxiety, some have been too lose and some are non-existent. And to quote Goldilocks, some are "Just right!"

Have you ever seen any of Michelangelo's unfinished sculptures; the figures appear to be climbing out of the marble. Each of us, in our own way, seems to be stepping (and sometimes clawing) from the stone that life's experiences and our own choices have motivated us to reside in.

It's good to see the rocks being chipped away and know that you are not just witnessing the freeing of my friend's but that are seeing the shards of marble fall away from me.

Thank you my friends for being part of the process. I don't know what I would do without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!