March 07, 2016

Getting A Tattoo

The last post was a fun little bucket list. As I marked each 'X' or deleted an 'X', I thought about the things I've done, the things I haven't done, the things I won't do  (parachuting and bungie jumping....helloooo!)  and the things I would like to do.

I often think about getting a tattoo. Part of me wonders if I am going to be the only old woman in the nursing home in years to come without a tat or two!

When a tatted woman walks by and I see her color, blatant or just peeking, my mind wanders in that direction. What would my shoulder look like with an iridescent teal and purple dragonfly?

Maybe on the inside of my wrist?

Maybe a couple of pretty flowers and leaves to accompany it or, hey, can the artist make it look like it is floating about a small pool of water?

The symbology of those numinous creatures is rich.  Physics says they shouldn't be able to fly yet they flutter about, forwards, backwards, up and down. They do the impossible. I love that!

They also represent poise and maturity....(shoulder shrug) can't win them all.

There is always the Tree of Life. That has incredible meaning for me. Is there anything more beautiful and magical than a tree. Their auras are majestic, they are firmly grounded yet reaching for the stars.


Ancestors, descendants, family, the cycle of life! I can see this on the outside of my thigh...surely there is enough room and some to spare. I can actually visualize the roots winding down my leg.....uh, that's a lot of ink.

I've always, always, always loved Celtic knots. Maybe a little of my grandpa's Irish made it's way into my soul.

What about a Celtic Tree of Life? So many to choose from, all gorgeous and full of meaning. I try to imagine the colors I would choose, the outline - white or black or deep purple.

How big would I want it?  Could the artist shrink it down to fit just below my knee on the outside of a leg?

How many shots of Patron Silver to make that not hurt?

Many of my friends have tats. Some are hidden away, some are blatant, in your face color!  Most are beautiful.  Very, very tempting.

While discussing tattoos with a friend, she suggested that if I am seriously considering getting a tattoo, to find the picture that I want.

She says that I should get it printed the size and colors that I would like, then stick it on the refrigerator for a year! A year!

If after a full year I still like the picture then, and only then, should I get the tattoo!

I love the advice. (Many of my friends are very wise!)

So, I look for the perfect picture! Problem is, I can't find anything I would want to stare at on my fridge for a year.....soooooo....anyway....one can always just imagine and dream!

Maybe the nurses will call me, "the lady in 212 with virgin skin!"


14 comments:

  1. I don't have tats cause (1) ew and (2) hurt and (3) needles and (4) skin cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get you totally. I'm probably more a henna designs now and then person because they wear off and there is no pain, needles or threats of social diseases. Though I like Arlee's comment. Maybe having my name tattooed on me so I can remember who I am!

      Delete
  2. I love the celtic dragonfly and the celtic tree of life (image #3)! I'm going to be blogging about my own tattoo in the near future (maybe later this month or in April? I need to get around to it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is an awesome Celtic Knot Goddess picture that I like too. Maybe better on a wall cuz I'm a bit of a coward!

      Delete
  3. I never wanted a tat, nor want one now. However, I admire those who tell me that have one hidden because I think they are not only brave but also smart enough to have it placed where only very close friends wlll know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the idea of a hidden tat but then I have to expose some hidden part of me to the artist....and though I love skinny dipping, it is in the privacy of my backyard, not in front of strangers!

      Delete
  4. I've never had any desire to get a tattoo. If at a very old age I were to have any kind of tattoo it might be my name so I could always remember who I was.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, though, if you get to that space you might start wondering who this Arlee-guy is who painted his name on your hand!!!

      Delete
  5. I like the Tree of Life ... maybe I get that one.
    I have six; they all mean something--I was never one for cartoons characters or people's names--and you cannot see them unless it's summer and I'm wearing shorts and flip-flops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an ankle or foot tattoo is sexy but I've heard that's a pretty tough place to get one. I love the Tree of Life with the Celtic roots, it is a good one!

      Delete
  6. I have a teeny tiny rose on my ankle. It's so small I could cover it with the smallest of bandaids.
    I've thought about added some daisies and violets and a little black cat.
    Maybe I will just add a little every year. If I start at 60 and just celebrate each year with a bit more?
    But I must say, you have a very wise friend!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting small sounds like a good idea. I had a knee replacement about 5 years ago and my grandson keeps suggesting I get a zipper tattooed over the scar. The zipper would not go all the way to the top but appear to be open with metal gears inside! Kind of a Steampunk Nana!

      Delete
  7. The first one is my favourite! I like small and subtle tattoos but I've never had the urge to get one. My younger daughter always wanted one but I wouldn't sign for her when she was a minor. I told her she could do it on her own when she's of legal age. So...as soon as she turned 18, she went and got a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids never wanted tats when they were home. Surprisingly, neither of my sons have one or want one but my daughter has a little memorial ribbon on her shoulder in honor of the first responders from 9-11. She lived in Brooklyn and got off the subway just before the World Trade Center on her way to work every day. Thankfully, she had just moved back to California before that horrible day.

      Delete

Comment Please but Play Nice!