March 06, 2014

Imagination vs Imagination

Wednesday matinees at the dollar theater, one of my favorite events next to Christmas and possibly, the 4th of July.

Yesterday didn't disappoint. We saw Saving Mr. Banks. Almost 24 hours later and my eyes are still swollen from crying, yet, I loved it.

If you haven't seen it, I will not give it away, but it is a wonderful story about two magnificent imaginations in conflict with each other.

One imagination is wide open and over the top; the letters in imagination free-floating through space, needing every bit of one's resourcefulness to keep the letters, i   m    a   g i    n   a   t i o    n   in order (dare I venture there may have been bits of fairy dust floating amongst the letters).  The other wound up so tight that the pressure could have forcefully extruded one of the letters from the word "imagination" and popped someone's eye out! Right out, quicker and more efficiently than Ralphie's official Red Ryder, carbine action, two hundred shot range model air rifle!

If you have been reading this blog for any length of time or know me personally, then you know that my favorite thing in the whole world is imagination. My favorite hobby is imagining. Imagination is not my favorite word, only because it is not as fun to say as Phosphatidylcholine, but it is my second favorite word because of the possibilities it invites.

At one point in the movie, Mr. Disney is sitting on a settee, sipping tea with a bit of scotch in it and says, "....Maybe not in life, but in imagination. Because that's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again and again."

You can't know how those simple lines touched my heart and my soul. I have been digging deep into the libraries of my mind, every dusty little corner, but I cannot find the words to describe how those words, placed in that order have made my spirit soar.

To be granted the gift of storytelling is an incredible blessing. To see the sparkle in the eyes of the listener (or imagine it in the eyes of the reader) when they realize that riding the moon and sliding down rainbows is a possibility. That climbing under the bridge and befriending the dragon is not only achievable but expected. When one's stories open the world up to the potentiality of flying with eagles and swimming with mermaids then it empowers the reader to know that anything they can imagine, they can accomplish.

All of the greatest accomplishments in our world started with imagination and a story of how it might be.  Imagination and stories will continue to inspire greater accomplishments "again and again and again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!