November 22, 2014

Out Of The Box

Friends! What would we do without them?

I, for one, would be sitting in a dark corner sucking on my thumb, or maybe both thumbs if it wasn't for my friends (and sister, of course!).

Several of my friends and I gather on a regular basis, sometimes in a kitchen to share a cup of coffee, other times, over wine and goodies in someone's living room.  Wherever it is, there is authentic caring and listening with open hearts.

Being "women of a certain age," we are all on the threshold of Act III of our lives. We've been to school, married, raised children; we've held jobs for the majority of our adult lives. We're all retired from our chosen professions but not retired from life.

When we gather, whether it is two of us, three, four or the rare moments when it is all five of us, something internal and eternal is happening. An onlooker may just see us laughing, heads back, tears pouring from our eyes. Another moment you may see us sitting on the edge of our seats, leaning forward, listening, really listening, to wisdom that comes from the depth of women's experience through the ages.

Each woman is a blessing in my life and each others' lives, inspiring each other to live bigger, learn to fly and be truly alive.

Jess C. Scott, author of The Intern states, "When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable."  How true this statement is with these women. We promised each other a safe space and we promised each other to truly "show up" when we are together. Each promise has been kept, 100%. So, in a way, it is not how we talk about each other as much as how we talk to each other and more importantly, listen. Through listening, we grow.

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature."  Jane Austen





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Please but Play Nice!